jzchen

Maintenance Mode, for Warming Engine Prior to Oil Change.

Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:31 am

To try to make up for my confusion about the oil change interval I'm going to post how to put your engine into maintenance mode:

Turn on the car, (or if already on), then turn it off, within 60 seconds perform the following:

Turn Ig-ON but not the engine, do this by pressing the Start button twice without depressing the brake pedal.

Depress the gas pedal two times all the way to the floor.

Press brake pedal and shift to N.

Press brake pedal and shift to P.

Press brake pedal and push Start button.

This should start the engine in maintenance mode.

Instructions for oil change say to rev engine at 3k RPM until fan comes on, then shut it off as normally do by pressing the Start button.

darthpuppy

Re: Maintenance Mode, for Warming Engine Prior to Oil Change.

Tue May 18, 2021 2:24 am

Dang that is quite a procedure!

Good idea. I've been changing the oil without getting it up to temp. I've just accepted that I wouldn't get as much of the old oil out as I should. I figured that with synthetic oil and the high frequency it calls for oil changes versus miles driven on gas, that the small portion of retained oil wouldn't be a problem. But I will give this procedure a try.

jzchen

Re: Maintenance Mode, for Warming Engine Prior to Oil Change.

Tue May 18, 2021 5:35 pm

Of the four vehicle manufacturers on the top of my head 2 say get the engine oil hot 2 do not mention the requirement.

Honda apparently wants it done hot. I wish they could have oriented the drain hole vertically or at least diagonally (like our Toyota Prius v). Hot oil shooting out sideways isn't easy to catch, at least for me.

Sigh...

Return to “Technical Discussions”