CamasClarity

Stock EVSE teardown

Wed May 09, 2018 2:53 am

I took the stock EVSE apart as far as I could and still be able to put it back together. I was hoping to see if it can work at 240V, but I did not see any ratings inside.

You can see pictures here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1veWoy ... gwsnxNYwjD

How do I put the pictures from google drive in the post?

Maybe somebody in Europe can take their apart to see if the board looks the same.

The short cord to the 120V plug is designed to be installed after the rest of the EVSE is all assembled. That makes me hope that the European EVSE just has a different cord. To remove the short 120V cord one does have to remove the back cover 6 screws.

darthpuppy

Re: Stock EVSE teardown

Wed May 09, 2018 4:01 am

You might find this interesting:

http://www.plugincars.com/inexpensive-c ... 27891.html

From what I've read, messing with your supplied unit can be a problem if you leased the car as you are likely to be dinged if you return a modified unit at expiration.

Having a level 2 EVSE really speeds up the charging. We get far more use out of our Leaf and Clarity thanks to the Schneider Electric EVSE we got that can supply 7.2kw (a little above what the Leaf and Clarity can take, so we have some future proofing.) We can run a bunch of errands in the morning. Then by lunch time, the car is ready to go again. And same by dinner time. Of course, having a portable level 2 would be nice, however you will likely find the availability of 240 outlets to be constraining.

CamasClarity

Wed May 09, 2018 1:32 pm

I am using L2 at home, I have a 7.2kW Blink (with new cable and connector) to charge the Clarity, and an upgraded to 3.8 kW Nissan EVSE for our 2011 Leaf. I have a portable 9.6 kW Open EVSE. The Honda EVSE I would like to keep at work, and 240V will be nice.

darthpuppy

Thu May 10, 2018 4:52 am

Lol. So you are already a virtual pro at this.

TOMK777

Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:22 pm

You can always look for a 2016+ Chevy Volt EVSE on Craigslist or Ebay, they are 120 volt but the internals are identical to the European 240 volt, so all that's required is a plug conversion cord so that can do both. RV camp sites are popular stops when on a road trip looking for 240 volt plugs that can deliver 32 amps or more.

admin
Site Admin

Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:31 pm

CamasClarity wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 2:53 am
You can see pictures here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1veWoy ... gwsnxNYwjD

How do I put the pictures from google drive in the post?
To post an image into a post, you need the actual URL of the image, not of a page that the image is on.

For Google drive, I selected the image, and chose 'open in new window'. In that window, I right clicked on the image and in Firefox browser, selected 'copy image location'. That gave me the URL of the image, that I can put inside the [ img ] tags:

Return to “Modifications and Accessories”