Lacry

Charging problem when temperature is cold

Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:35 pm

I'm from Montreal and I bought my Clarity in September 2018 and installed my EV charger in about the same period. The EV charger is from Chargepoint model CPH25-L25. From September to middle of November, I had no issue to charge the battery with my EV charger. However, since middle of November, when the temperature is -5 deg C and lower, I'm unable to charge the battery with my level 2 charger. However, it works with my level 1 charger or any other level 2 charger (public station). If the temperature get higher than -5 deg C, no problem. My level 2 charger works...... I called Chargepoint. For them, it is not the charger because when I plug the charger on the car, the charger led becomes blue, indicating that the charger is detecting the car and ready for charging. On the car, the green led does not turn on or flashing. It seems that the car does not detect the charger. On my Honda link application, I do not see the connection. However, if try to drive the car when the cable is plugged, the message appears to disconnect the car..... I called the dealer and explain to him the problem. The answer: It is normal. You cannot use this car below -10 deg Celcius.... The honda dealers does not know nothing about the Clarity.... Honda Canada provided only 1 or 2 Clarity per dealer in 2018....

Is anybody have seen this problem? Is it the EV charger (chargepoint) or the car??

Thanks

DucRider

Re: Charging problem when temperature is cold

Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:52 pm

This is indeed a known issue, and seems to be reported more with Chargepoint equipment than other manufacturers.

There is a service bulletin with a software update to address this issue. In the US it is:
Service Bulletin 18-097
September 20, 2018 Version 1
Clarity Fails To Charge or Finish Charging
AFFECTED VEHICLES
Year Model Trim VIN Range
2018 Clarity Plug-in
Hybrid
ALL ALL
2018 Clarity Electric ALL ALL
SYMPTOM
The Clarity Plug-In Hybrid and Clarity Electric may not start charging when plugged in or may stop charging before the
high-voltage lithium-ion battery is full.
POSSIBLE CAUSE
The battery charger software does not start charging or may stop before charging is complete in areas with poor or
fluctuating power quality.
CORRECTIVE ACTION
Update the battery charger software to the latest version.
CUSTOMER NOTIFICATION
Once the update is completed, the vehicle may take up to one and a half times longer to fully charge. This depends on
the power quality in the area, which will affect the charging rate.
WARRANTY CLAIM INFORMATION
The normal warranty applies.
Operation
Number
Description Flat Rate
Time
Defect
Code
Symptom
Code
Template
ID
Failed Part Number
1255D8 Update the battery
charger software.
0.2 hr 03214 03217 A18097A 1C601-5WP-A01
Skill Level: Repair Technician
CUSTOMER INFORMATION:The information in this bulletin is intended for use only by skilled technicians who have the proper tools, equipment, and
training to correctly and safely maintain your vehicle. These procedures should not be attempted by “do-it-yourselfers,” and you should not assume
this bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle has the condition described. To determine whether this information applies, contact an
authorized Honda automobile dealer.
© 2018 American Honda Motor Co., Inc. — All Rights Reserved Page 1 of 2
PARTS INFORMATION
Part Name Order Part Number Quantity
Battery Charger Software 1C601-5WP-A02 1
DIAGNOSIS
This issue might set one or more of the following DTCs:
• DTC P0D28 (battery charger input voltage too high)
• DTC P0D2A: (battery charger input voltage too high)
• DTC P0D3D: (battery charger input voltage too high)
• Clarity Plug-In Hybrid: DTC P1D23 (battery charger temperature sensor circuit range/performance)
• Clarity Electric: DTC P1D22 (battery charger temperature sensor circuit malfunction)
SOFTWARE INFORMATION
NOTE
Unnecessary or incorrect repairs resulting from a failure to update the i-HDS are not covered under warranty.
i-HDS Software Version: 1.004.037 or later
J2534 Software Information:
• PC Application Version 1.1.0.2. or later
• Database update 31-AUG-2018 or later
Before beginning the repair, make sure that both the i-HDS and J2534 software are updated as listed above.
Do only the update listed in this service bulletin.
You cannot apply the updates with the MVCI as a standalone tool. To update the software you must use the MVCI
or the DST-i interface in conjunction with the J2534 Rewrite PC application on the i-HDS.
For more information about updating the i-HDS, the MVCI, and vehicle systems, refer to Service Bulletin 01-023,
Updating Control Units/Modules.
Year/Model Software
System
Program ID (or later) Program P/N (or later)
2018 Clarity Plug-In Hybrid Battery
Charger
WPA020 1C601-5WP-A02
2018 Clarity Electric Battery
Charger
WPA020 1C601-5WP-A02
REPAIR PROCEDURE
1. Update the battery charger software using the i-HDS J2534 rewrite software with the MVCI or DST-i. Refer to
Service Bulletin 01-023, Updating Control Units/Modules.
2. Clear any DTCs.
3. Verify that no codes are stored and the vehicle operates normally.
END
Page 2 of 2
Gary
Oregon Electric Vehicle Association Vice Chair
www.oeva.org
NDEW City Captain
www.driveelectricweek.org

Lacry

Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:37 pm

Thanks Gary.

I will have to fight Honda Canada.... This SB-097 is not available actually in Canada. For Honda Canada, this problem does not exist. Honda makes great car. However, Honda Canada has probably one of the poorest service of all the car makers.... I think Honda America is alot better..... In Canada, Honda will never admit any issue on any car. The best exemple is the 12 volt battery on all the honda cars. In canada, winter can be very cold. For the last 20 years, Honda provide cars with a too small battery missing capacity during the winter season. The first thing you have to do when you buy a Honda car is to replace the battery.... Honda never admitted this problem... Everydody is aware about it... except Honda. I have several exemples similar to this....

Pyxilady

Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:31 am

Thanks Gary for the information!

Return to “Technical Discussions”