jbullock47

More engine noise after software update?

Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:33 pm

I took my PHEV Clarity to the dealer last week to deal with four (4!) recall issues. One of these was a software update which solved the range error problem that has been discussed here.

I don't know how to verify this but it seems to me that the engine is now much noisier in HV mode, especially in stop-and-go situations. I do not normally use the "double HV" option (to charge the battery while driving) but I have tried it just to see what would happen. The engine was much louder using this option. Now it sounds like my car goes into that mode immediately when I press the HV button. This is aggravating because the engine is so loud. One of the things I love about the Clarity is how quiet it is.

Anyone else experiencing this? Anyone have any ideas how I can find out if my car is in battery-charging mode when I don't want it to be?

Pyxilady

Re: More engine noise after software update?

Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:29 am

Howdy! I bought a 2018 Clarity Plug in hybrid two days ago. The vehicle that I test drove was really quiet, but my one sounds like a lawnmower in EV mode, reacting sharply to any touch of the accelerator very noisilly, and with 'over reving'. Its definitely mode-specific, as its much better/quieter in 'sport mode' or Hybrid mode. Anyway, I think I have this /or similar problem?

Also, I took it to the dealer today to charge, and had issues getting it charged. It didn't work with their DC charger (I vaguely recall reading somewhere that it doesn't take DC fast charges), and only partly worked to about 80% on the other public level 2 charger. Problem is, the dealerships' service people are the ones that plugged it into the DC charger, and clearly don't know this vehicle very well. Sigh...I left with 80% charge...

Any advice? Software updates, I suppose?
Thanks

DucRider

Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:48 am

Pyxilady wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:29 am
Howdy! I bought a 2018 Clarity Plug in hybrid two days ago. The vehicle that I test drove was really quiet, but my one sounds like a lawnmower in EV mode, reacting sharply to any touch of the accelerator very noisilly, and with 'over reving'. Its definitely mode-specific, as its much better/quieter in 'sport mode' or Hybrid mode. Anyway, I think I have this /or similar problem?

Also, I took it to the dealer today to charge, and had issues getting it charged. It didn't work with their DC charger (I vaguely recall reading somewhere that it doesn't take DC fast charges), and only partly worked to about 80% on the other public level 2 charger. Problem is, the dealerships' service people are the ones that plugged it into the DC charger, and clearly don't know this vehicle very well. Sigh...I left with 80% charge...

Any advice? Software updates, I suppose?
Thanks
In EV mode, the engine should not run at all unless the battery is drained. Did you mean HV mode?

It is physically impossible to plug the PHEV into the DC Fast Charger so they probably pulled it in to try, but couldn't. The BEV does have DCFC capability - and a different plug configuration - so if you are in CA or one of the 3 OR dealerships that offer the BEV they may have assumed the PHEV had the same charging capabilities.

The high revving and noise seems to be connected to operation with a depleted battery (I have the BEV so no firsthand knowledge). If it is the same after charging, there may be an issue.
Gary
Oregon Electric Vehicle Association Vice Chair
www.oeva.org
NDEW City Captain
www.driveelectricweek.org

Pyxilady

Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:25 pm

Thank you for the info, Gary. It is better now after a full charge when running electric.

Return to “Technical Discussions”