yukithedog

Suggested Improvements

Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:09 pm

2 months into ownership of the Clarity PHEV. Great car, excellent range.....more comfortable than my Volt.

Some early comparisons to my Chevy Volt (have owned 3 Volts over the past 8 years) that take the form of suggested improvements:

1. Door to Charge Port - no access to charger door other than via key fob or inside the car - a minor issue but can be a bit annoying to go the extra step - Volt has a "press and release" door that opens from the outside - it can't see any security reason why the Clarity has to lock the access door

2. Charge Status - the Volt has a blinking dashboard light that indicates if the car is charging and how far along the charging process it has come - this is done via blinking lights (3 fast flashes means between 1/2 and 3/4 charged; while 4 fast flashes means between 3/4 and 100%, etc.... Also, merely opening the door of the Volt activiates the dashboard which displays the availalbe battery range (you do not need the key fob, just open the door).

3. Trunk Pass-through: When folding down the rear seats, the available pass-through circumference seems inconveniently narrow - there must be an engineering/structural reason for this (the Volt, a hatchback, has full access to the trunk area with complete uniformity over the folded rear seats).

4. Knobs! - at some point tech convenience becomes counterproductive. Looking down at a touch screen for everything might be a bit too much. Yes, its a personal preference, but the blind reach for a volume knob while keeping an eye on the road seems safer than punching a screen......and, yes, the steering wheel controls eliminate much of that concern, so let's see how that goes after another couple of months.

More to come....

DucRider

Re: Suggested Improvements

Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:59 pm

yukithedog wrote:
3. Trunk Pass-through: When folding down the rear seats, the available pass-through circumference seems inconveniently narrow - there must be an engineering/structural reason for this (the Volt, a hatchback, has full access to the trunk area with complete uniformity over the folded rear seats).
The Clarity was designed to be used with Fuel Cells (as well as a BEV & PHEV). I suspect there are structural reasons.

Gary
Oregon Electric Vehicle Association Vice Chair
www.oeva.org
NDEW City Captain
www.driveelectricweek.org

yukithedog

Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:36 pm

Thanks for the fuel cell picture......seems pretty clear - no choice in the matter.

darthpuppy

Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:35 am

yukithedog wrote:
can't see any security reason why the Clarity has to lock the access door
The Volt charging hatch doesn't lock? Thanks for the tip! I think I just found the perfect use for my plastic spider toys... :lol:

darthpuppy

Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:41 am

yukithedog wrote:
2. Charge Status - the Volt has a blinking dashboard light that indicates if the car is charging and how far along the charging process it has come -
Excellent observation. I do much prefer how my Leaf does this than my Clarity.

But it wouldn't surprise me if each company does it differently because each one patents the approach they implement. Sort of like how each smart phone gets basically the same thing accomplished but delivered slightly differently. Since the Volt and Leaf already have the obvious dash light concept deployed, perhaps Honda had to come up with something else, so all we get is the green light at the charge port and the phone app that will give us an indication from some time in the past.

darthpuppy

Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:44 am

yukithedog wrote:
4. Knobs! - at some point tech convenience becomes counterproductive. Looking down at a touch screen for everything might be a bit too much. Yes, its a personal preference, but the blind reach for a volume knob while keeping an eye on the road seems safer than punching a screen......and, yes, the steering wheel controls eliminate much of that concern, so let's see how that goes after another couple of months.
I agree this is a really bad trend. That was the most annoying thing I noticed when I looked at the Model 3. Everything controlled through the touchscreen, including the allocation of the air flow from the vents. This is getting out of control.

Car companies - There is nothing wrong with knobs! :x

darthpuppy

Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:04 am

On flip side, we have a Highlander where the volume control knob is on the fritz so attempting to change the volume with the knob causes it to jump all over the place. Fortunately, it also has volume control buttons on the steering wheel. Redundancy is good.

I do get a bit worried about how much control is getting routed through touchscreens. My experience with tablets and phones being reliable and highly accurate for input is not good. And input accuracy when the car is moving downright stinks. And that is when I'm the passenger. The amount of focus for the driver to do some of this stuff through a central touchscreen is going to cause some serious safety issues. Or do they expect us to use the LKAS to allow us to ignore the road while making adjustments to different settings?

jzchen

Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:30 am

Anyone know a 1 touch/button way to mute the radio/audio source? The quickest I could figure for now, (without reading the manual I confess), is to tap the volume slider on the left side of the center display, then tap "Mute". This irritatingly takes my eyes off the road for a little too long for my comfort. I guess that is my suggested improvement until I find there is a one step/one button press way...

(Thanks)!

darthpuppy

Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:07 am

When I've wanted to do that, I just hit the top bottom that turns it off.

Of course that also turns off the navigation, carplay, etc. So that might not be the solution you are looking for.

admin
Site Admin

Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:29 pm

yukithedog wrote:
1. Door to Charge Port - no access to charger door other than via key fob or inside the car - a minor issue but can be a bit annoying to go the extra step - Volt has a "press and release" door that opens from the outside - it can't see any security reason why the Clarity has to lock the access door
This is typical of import cars - fuel doors are popped from inside. On domestic vehicles, they can be opened from outside.
Yes, this is a general statement and their are likely exceptions... but in general :)

Return to “Clarity Plug-in News”