srl99

AC effective in hot weather? Clarity EV

Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:44 am

90F, call parked in full sun w windows closed ... Certainly hotter inside. The AC was unable to cool the air. This is a dark gray car w white interior.

The AC is working. When the car wasn't so hot there was some cold air coming out of the vents.

Trip to the dealer in order?

DucRider

Re: AC effective in hot weather? Clarity EV

Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:00 am

yep,
No problem at all with our Vortex Blue/Grey interior even when well into the 90's.
Gary
Oregon Electric Vehicle Association Vice Chair
www.oeva.org
NDEW City Captain
www.driveelectricweek.org

darthpuppy

Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:04 am

Concur something is wrong with yours. Mine has no problem cooling a hot car down and getting comfortable.

srl99

Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:58 am

Thanks for the feedback. My car was sitting for a while, which seems to be related. After driving it around, it seems to be able to cool.

Will take it to the dealer when it's convenient.

Really enjoying the car, yeah, it could use a bigger battery, but then it wouldn't be the lease price it is.

darthpuppy

Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:34 am

There are a lot of trade offs in battery sizing for these cars. Larger batteries mean more cost and weight, which impacts efficiency.

Multiple studies have concluded that there isn't enough of the battery raw materials and mining infrastructure to convert all of society's driving to EV only, even for relatively small markets like the UK by itself. The biggest environmental bang for the buck of scarce resource is to go hybrid or PHEV.

The Clarity's battery allows me to eliminate 95% of what I did consume in gas. Getting rid of that last 5% would require something like the Leaf Plus with the 60kwh battery or a Tesla. Tripling the battery size or more to eliminate that last 5% is far from efficient use of those resources.

For each driver, the battery size sweet spot will differ. If my regular commute was within range of some of the shorter range PHEVs, those could have been a good option for me. In my case, going with a lower battery size would have really boosted the gas consumption. But going larger only nibbles at that last 5%. If my commute was a bit worse, then an even larger battery would have been very tempting.

I do admit that the idea of going all EV is tempting. That drove my decision to go with the 2013 Leaf as my first venture into EV driving. That had eliminated all of my commute gas, but then my job changed and I now have a much longer commute. With the Clarity, I think Honda has hit an excellent balance point.

DucRider

Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:14 pm

darthpuppy wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:34 am
Multiple studies have concluded that there isn't enough of the battery raw materials and mining infrastructure to convert all of society's driving to EV only, even for relatively small markets like the UK by itself. The biggest environmental bang for the buck of scarce resource is to go hybrid or PHEV.
I would love to see a credible source for this info.
The "studies" I've seen on this subject have not been scientific but opinion pieces with assumptions like the inability to increase supply as demand grows (lithium is the usually quoted component for this argument). The articles also usually assume no advancement in battery technology. Significant strides have been made in reducing the amount of some problematic components (Cobalt is one example), and there is no reason to believe that progress will not continue.
Gary
www.oeva.org
NDEW City Captain

darthpuppy

Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:32 am

I can't seem to find the one I had encountered (I believe on the MyNissanLeaf forum) that concluded that the battery resources couldn't even address all of the U.K.'s driving consumption. I do still see this one, though it doesn't go so far as to say it can't be done but does focus on the constrained resources and therefore the importance of getting the most mile conversion per battery capacity:

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2019/0 ... 18-ea.html

The point is quite valid that there are major constraints in battery supply. I would love to see studies indicating that we had plenty of good batteries available and can can all switch to EV driving today. We can't simply flip a switch and replace all vehicles with EVs. Until (if ever) we have that type of supply, being efficient in our allocation of these scarce resources is a worthwhile tactic.

DucRider

Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:13 am

darthpuppy wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:32 am
I can't seem to find the one I had encountered (I believe on the MyNissanLeaf forum) that concluded that the battery resources couldn't even address all of the U.K.'s driving consumption. I do still see this one, though it doesn't go so far as to say it can't be done but does focus on the constrained resources and therefore the importance of getting the most mile conversion per battery capacity:

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2019/0 ... 18-ea.html

The point is quite valid that there are major constraints in battery supply. I would love to see studies indicating that we had plenty of good batteries available and can can all switch to EV driving today. We can't simply flip a switch and replace all vehicles with EVs. Until (if ever) we have that type of supply, being efficient in our allocation of these scarce resources is a worthwhile tactic.
An important factor in the study:
"The calculations did not take into account the upstream CO2 in fuel extraction, refining and transportation". Kind of an important piece of the big picture isn't it?
The "study" also assumes a constrained battery supply - with no mention of limited resources being the cause.

No one is suggesting that one morning all ICE vehicles will be gone and be replaced by EV's, nor that battery production could handle an instantaneous switch.

Still interested in any source suggesting that raw materials are too scarce to supply enough batteries. It does indeed take time to build factories to produce batteries, and those factories indeed do not exist today. But to extrapolate from that that they never can/will exist is pure nonsense.
Gary
www.oeva.org
NDEW City Captain

Return to “General / Main Clarity Plugin Owners Forum”