Mhw745

Decreased Full Charge Range

Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:02 pm

My Clarity EV is 2 years old and less than 10,000 miles. When new, she would charge to 84 miles on the range meter. Now best range after a full charge is 74 miles. Temperature is not a factor. I do keep her pulled in at home. Is this normal?

DucRider

Re: Decreased Full Charge Range

Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:02 am

The range estimate when fully charges is based on recent driving habits/conditions.

How many miles are you actually driving between charges? If you don't do so at least occasionally, let the SOC get down to 20% or less. If you can time it to have just a few miles remaining before charging, that may also help to "recalibrate" the estimate.

Also useful to note the mi/kWh as that can give an indication on whether the reduced range is due to driving efficiency or battery capacity.
Gary
Oregon Electric Vehicle Association Vice Chair
www.oeva.org
NDEW City Captain
www.driveelectricweek.org

darthpuppy

Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:09 am

Really long article can help to understand what could be driving high degradation:
https://cleantechnica.com/2016/05/31/ba ... ries-last/

More plain language chart from Nissan Leaf: https://insideevs.com/news/326563/batte ... ssan-leaf/

From the 2nd article, at 2 years, the Leaf should expect to have lost about 13% of battery capacity. At 2 years, sounds like you've lost 12%, but you have far less miles than the above chart assumes. So your degradation might be on the high side. Or it could be normal, especially if your usage cycle is on the harsh side. That 1st article covers a lot of things that impact this.

I'm no expert, I only have my personal experience to draw upon. My Leaf lost it's first of 12 capacity bars at just short of 6 years and about 37k miles. That capacity bar per the above article suggest I've lost 15%. But my Leaf lives a sheltered life. We rarely DC quick charge. It is in a moderate climate - rarely over 100F and never under 35F. Also, it is garaged and so rarely encounters those extremes. We normally charge it only to 80% except for the handful times a year we anticipate needing further range - usually for longer range trips we take the PHEV or other gas powered car. It has been to turtle mode only twice, and that was due to a malfunction that was repaired - so no deep cycling. It has pretty much lived it's entire life between 20-80% charge. I think our optimal treatment of the car has allowed us to experience better than normal degradation. So if your usage is listed as one of the practices that reduce battery life, do what you can to adjust those practices. From my limited experience, it would seem that can have a huge effect on the battery life.

darthpuppy

Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:14 am

DucRider wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:02 am
Also useful to note the mi/kWh as that can give an indication on whether the reduced range is due to driving efficiency or battery capacity.
Is that only available on the Clarity EV? I love having that info on my Leaf, but haven't been able to find it on my PHEV? I'm guessing they only provide that info on the EV version as it isn't as important on the PHEV. But I'd still like to know how energy efficient my driving the Clarity in EV mode is vs. when I'm driving my Leaf.

DucRider

Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:12 pm

Re the LEAF and degradation. There is no other EV made that suffers the same degree of degradation. Nissan has chosen (and stuck with) a battery system with no active thermal management. The only thing they do to manage the excess heat that quickly degrades batteries is reduce charging rates once the battery heats up.

The Clarity (and almost all other EV's) have a way to actively cool the battery. The best way is with liquid cooling, and that is what the Clarity utilizes.

This is the first I've heard of Clarity BEV range loss, but not enough data to really judge.

mi/kWh I get thru "vehicle info" option from the Home screen (it defaults to that if no other selection is made)
Gary
Oregon Electric Vehicle Association Vice Chair
www.oeva.org
NDEW City Captain
www.driveelectricweek.org

Return to “General / Main Clarity Plugin Owners Forum”