jzchen

PHEV Burning Smell Hybrid Driving For About 18 mi.

Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:52 am

Roughly 24 miles trip, first 6 miles EV mode then last 18 mi hybrid mode. Just at the end of the trip maybe 1/4 mi left, I made a U-turn and started smelling very strong burning smell. Stopped at destination, opened hood to find smell emanating from the engine area. Upon careful inspection only clues are high oil level (up to top of orange plastic tip of oil dipstick), slightly high inverter coolant level, and low EV battery coolant level. I also added some coolant to engine coolant reservoir so it is maybe 3/4 to 4/5 (from min) to max level.

I adjusted the oil level to maybe 1 - 2 mm below middle point, added some coolant to the EV battery reservoir, which was a PAIN to get access to, and siphoned some inverter coolant to about or just below max level.

Will observe if smell returns as most drives are in EV mode, and follow up with my conclusions.

darthpuppy

Re: PHEV Burning Smell Hybrid Driving For About 18 mi.

Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:42 am

That doesn't sound good. That might warrant a stop by the dealership service center for a checkup.

jzchen

Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:25 am

We had just arrived (the 5 of us), at a 7 yr old birthday party in Diamond Bar. I was thinking the rest of the family could take Uber home, but they wanted to go with me. I decided to drive the approx 2.5 mi to AQMD building where I charged for 45 mins. This got us home in EV mode with gentle driving and avoiding AC use whenever I could get away with it, ie. off the freeways.

Sigh. Our first Honda vehicle. But I’ve read that high oil level can lead to rough engine running and oil burning in some cases. We’ll see if it comes back and I’ll report what I find.

I had subscribed to Honda Tech info to figure out the procedure to measure oil level. For the EV battery coolant if low one is supposed to check for leaks. I did not do that. I thought it might be due to air escaping the system during “break in”....

jzchen

Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:32 pm

So far no more burning smell. I did add some more coolant to the EV battery reservoir. It is quite difficult for me to check and add with the cover in the way and is something you’re supposed to bring to the dealer for checking, per the manual.

Had one oil change so far done at the dealer....

darthpuppy

Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:06 am

Glad to hear that isn't a recurring issue and hasn't caused a problem. Did you ever get an answer from the service center as to what might have been the issue?

jzchen

Thu May 02, 2019 11:09 am

I never ended up asking after draining out what I perceived was an excess amount of oil. For $10 here:

https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/logon.aspx

I pulled up the procedure to check the oil level and found it high. I assumed that was the reason and just moved on. My plan was if it were to smell again with the proper oil level to bring it in at that point.

(Thanks for asking)!

Return to “Technical Discussions”