DucRider

UPDATE: Oregon EV Rebate

Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:27 pm

For those of you that live in Oregon, on Aug 2nd the Oregon Supreme Court issued a ruling upholding the funding method for the EV rebate program and the DEQ will start processing applications and issuing refunds.
You must apply (have applied) within 6 mos of purchase/lease. They were taking a "Phase I" application while the program was on hold, and they will process rebates in the order received.

The Clarity Electric qualifies for a $2,500 rebate.

The Clarity PHEV may qualify for $2,500.

At issue is the warranty coverage on the PHEV. Oregon is one of the Section 177 states that has opted in to California’s vehicle emission standards. The Clean Air Act requires that opt-in states keep their rule requirements identical to California’s vehicle emission program. Oregon has not yet adopted the latest CA standards and the Oregon PHEV warranty requirements are lower. However, to qualify for the rebate a PHEV must meet the CA standards.

I pointed this out to Honda several months ago, and they have since changed the emissions warranty card to include Oregon in the same category as the other ZEV States (prior cards had Oregon listed as a 3rd Category with different warranty coverage).
Current warranty card: http://ev.owners.honda.com/Content/PDFs ... L06769.pdf

It is unclear at this point if Honda is going to extend the warranty coverage to all PHEV's sold in Oregon. Their most recent statement indicates the warranty coverage will be whatever the current Oregon requirements for PHEV's are, and any that were purchased before the legislature adpted current CA emissions requirements would hae the lower warranty coverage (and thus would not qualify for the rebate). The problem is that Oregon has not yet updated their requirements (there is a public comment hearing on Aug 14th in Portland).

If your Clarity PHEV has the warranty card as listed above, you likely qualify for the rebate. If your emissions warranty card has Oregon listed separately, you likely will not qualify unless Honda covers all PHEV's sold in Oregon with the current CA requirements.

PM me if you have more questions.

Gary
Gary
Oregon Electric Vehicle Association Vice Chair
www.oeva.org
NDEW City Captain
www.driveelectricweek.org

cwhite

Re: Oregon EV Rebate

Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:16 pm

Thanks for the info, from my initial reading I thought the Clarity PHEV had a large enough battery to qualify for the $2500 rebate. I could be wrong, as always.

DucRider

Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:43 pm

cwhite wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:16 pm
Thanks for the info, from my initial reading I thought the Clarity PHEV had a large enough battery to qualify for the $2500 rebate. I could be wrong, as always.
Sorry, typo.

It does qualify for the $2,500

Will edit and correct the post.
Gary
www.oeva.org
NDEW City Captain

cwhite

Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:31 pm

Hi all, Heard last week that Honda is updating the Clarity warranty for Oregon to match California. This means that we can get the $2500 OR Rebate. There is a rule that the hybrid warranty had to be over a certain length and some of the original warranty cards/CD's called out Oregon having a shorter term. I just got the new warranty book (along with the paper manuals) and Oregon is now listed with the longer warranty. On a sadder note I talked with someone in the rebate program and checks probably won't be going out until early next year. The court case made it so they could not do any prep work so they got a late start.

DucRider

Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:55 pm

The good news is that those that submitted applications will still get their rebate, just much later than anyone hoped. I hosted an overview and Q&A session at our NDEW event last month, and got several detailed questions that needed policy and procedures to be defined. HB2017 gave a general framework with some specific rules, but left much of the heavy lifting to DEQ.
Some examples:
1) What is a "base model" in regards to MSRP? In example, does any Tesla Model 3 qualify since the "base model" is (going to be) $35K? Or is a Long Range AWD Performance version considered a different vehicle with a different base MSRP for rebate purposes. Is the BMW i3 "s" version a different model? If so, the REx version bumps over the $50K cap.
2) Is there a limit on the number of rebates an individual can receive (annually or lifetime)? The Bill limits organizations to 10 per calendar year, but no mention was made about individual limits. This was discussed in advisory committee sessions when discussing rebate amounts and funding. The recommendation was to not to impose limits at this time.
3) The Bill requires repayment if the vehicle is sold within 24 months. Will there be exceptions for circumstances like vehicles declared a total loss from an accident and "sold" to an insurance company?

There was another advisory committee meeting on Oct 4th(?), and the OEVA has a representative . Should have an update from him the next day or so on progress/discussions.
Gary
www.oeva.org
NDEW City Captain

DucRider

Re: UPDATE: Oregon EV Rebate

Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:31 am

The DEQ is starting to issue rebate checks for the standard rebate with first checks going out ~12/21. Both the BEV and PHEV Clarity qualify for $2,500. Rebates are being processed in the order received. They are doing Jan '18 purchases to start, and will proceed month-by-month until all are caught up.
The Charge Ahead program for low to moderate income households will take longer to get up and running due to the sensitive financial information needed to verify income qualifications. There is a calculator on the DEQ site to see if you might qualify (cutoff for a family of 4 in the Portland area is ~$97K).
https://www.oregon.gov/deq/aq/programs/ ... ebate.aspx
If you are an Oregon resident and haven't yet submitted for your rebate, you have 6 months from the purchase/lease date.
Gary
www.oeva.org
NDEW City Captain

lkhaines

Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:59 pm

Since this topic covers Oregon I have a question, my Clarity had a computer/dash failure on Oct 28 2018 and immediately after that my EV range went from 49 to 51 down to 35 miles. Honda of Salem says it is the weather, one even suggested it was the gas, when we are talking about EV range. Since you are in Oregon has you Ev range dropped into the 30's like mine? If not what kind of EV range are you getting since November? I live in the Valley and seldom use anything but EV. Larry

DucRider

Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:56 pm

Larry,
All vehicles, no matter how they are powered, have reduced efficiency (and therefore range) in the winter.

37 miles of estimated range is well within what is normal to see in what passes for winter in the Willamette Valley.

There are basically 3 things that reduce your winter range:
1) Physics. Winter bring colder and denser air, cold (and wet) roads cause an increase in rolling resistance. This is the portion that affect ALL vehicles equally.
2) Batteries provide less energy at colder temps. The chemical reaction within the battery itself is slowed and less electricity is produced. The battery capacity rating is calculated at ~70 degrees. Some EV's have a method to heat the batteries to help counteract this effect (usually standard in Canada even when not available in the US)
3) Cabin heat. About 70% of potential energy of gasoline is converted to heat in an internal combustion engine, and their are vehicle systems that harness that heat to keep you warm. An EV has to rely on it's battery to run a supplemental heating system, and doing that makes less "fuel" available to propel the car lowering the range.

I have the 100% electric version, and it utilizes a heat pump (instead of a resistance heater) for cabin heat so the impact of keeping the car warm is less than with the PHEV version that you are driving. You are reporting ~20% drop in range, and that is much less than we experienced in the 5 years of the Fit EV (also 100% electric but fitted with a resistance heater like the Clarity PHEV). We would take a 25% to 40% range hit in winter (even more when we got those rare below freezing stretches).

And remember that the range you are seeing is an estimate based on recent driving history (and Honda has a history of being very conservative with this number* - although less so with the Clarity). Higher speeds, more heat usage, or multiple short trips will have an impact. When you drive short distance, the car (and battery) have a chance to cool off, and when you start driving again, you pay an energy penalty to get things warm again.

Preconditioning the vehicle (thru the app or with the Fob) can make a big difference in the range you get. If you start the trip with a warm car, much less energy is used to keep it that way.

*Note: the conservative estimate is best illustrated by this story as related by a Fit EV owner in the NE. He kept his car outside of his garage (but plugged in to charge). He came out one morning when there had been a significant snowfall then temps had plunged to below zero. He had used preconditioning, cleared enough snow from the car to get in and turned the key to "start" the car. On a full charge, it showed his estimated range as "0" - yes that is a zero. In reality he likely had about 30 miles of available range as gleaned from other Fit EV user observations, but he turned the Fit EV off and went to work in his gas car that day.

I'm part of the Oregon Electric Vehicle Association, and we will have a display at the Portland Auto Show in a couple of weeks. We'll have volunteers that are glad to talk with people about this (or any other EV subject) to help them understand both the tremendous benefits and things they need to be aware of. If you (or anyone else) is interested in attending the show, send me a PM (private message) and I can get you a code for a free ticket.
Gary
www.oeva.org
NDEW City Captain

lkhaines

Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:37 am

I understand that but how do you explain one day I am getting 50 miles per charge, the computer fails, the next day I am getting 35 miles per charge. The weather, driving daily all the same. I guess Honda will have to run a test to see if they can find anything. Thanks for the response as I realize this was not the right forum....Larry

DucRider

Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:18 am

lkhaines wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:37 am
I understand that but how do you explain one day I am getting 50 miles per charge, the computer fails, the next day I am getting 35 miles per charge. The weather, driving daily all the same. I guess Honda will have to run a test to see if they can find anything. Thanks for the response as I realize this was not the right forum....Larry
Has the amount of actual range changed? Or only the computer estimate of available range? How far is your daily drive?
Gary
www.oeva.org
NDEW City Captain

Return to “Buying / Leasing / Dealerships”