steve75

Safety System Failure

Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:04 pm

We have a Clarity PHEV purchased in January.

Several weeks ago a system failure message appeared on the dash covering every important system on the car. What scared us was the one that lit up stating brake system failure. Contacted the dealer who said it was safe to drive despite the error messages & to bring the car in. The dealer in about an hour reset the car's computer. HOWEVER, we were told Honda is aware of this issue and as of yet has no software cure for it. We were told the errors may appear again.

Sure enough, in about two weeks the dash lit up with error upon error concerning all the car's safety systems. Brought the car back to the Honda dealership. We were given a loaner car, have it now for 10 days. Contacted Honda corporate, gave them the problem info, they called back and said they would contact the dealer. Hopefully, we will have a solution to this and have our car returned. We were told again Honda is aware of this problem but as of yet there is no cure for it.

We have friends who asked us about the our Prius and Clarity. They are interested in a new car that's sips gas. Want to guess what we told them about the Clarity?

Hope Honda does come up with a fix for the car. We do like it.

CamasClarity

Re: Safety System Failure

Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:44 am

The only problem we had with the safety system was after I drove through some muddy snow. The error disappear after we washed the car and the dealer cleaned the radar sensor.

darthpuppy

Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:40 am

This is the 2nd reporting I've seen of this issue on this forum. One for the EV and this one for the PHEV.

Not good considering this forum only has 158 members thus far. That is starting to sound like a high incidence rate. Though this could be skewed if this problem prompted the owners with this issue to reach out to this forum and post.

CamasClarity

Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:52 pm

In my case it was easy to associate the dirty snow with the failure. Just washing the car made the auto braking system operational. In my visit months later to the dealer for the charging error (that also cleared) they said the radar sensor reported it needs cleaning. It is possible the dealer saw the same old error.

I would take everything the dealer says with a (large) grain of salt....

Return to “Technical Discussions”