greggkizer

BEST EV Range after FULL CHARGE

Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:46 pm

Wonder what will be the best obtainable EV Range after a FULL CHARGE? :D :)

After last night charging... it shows 65 miles on the dashboard....

Type of driving will reflect results... I have a 2017 Volt and the new 2018 Clarity....Before these two vehicles, I had a 2012 & 2014 Volt...

What are other obtaining on the EV Range after full charge??? :?:

DucRider

Re: BEST EV Range after FULL CHARGE

Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:53 pm

Do you have the Clarity Electric (89 mi EPA) or the PHEV (48)?
I'm assuming the PHEV because you emphasize "EV Range" and 65 is well below the Electrics range.

This forum supports both the BEV and PHEV versions, so it's useful if you identify which of them you are posting about.

Gary
Gary
Oregon Electric Vehicle Association Vice Chair
www.oeva.org
NDEW City Captain
www.driveelectricweek.org

greggkizer

Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:48 am

Gary:

Thanks for pointing out the two types and both are supported here... Yes, my Clarity in the PHEV (48) with gas.... :oops:

jzchen

Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:27 am

Best so far from HondaLink App is 62 miles so far.

bobmcd67

Fri May 04, 2018 4:24 pm

New PHEV owner here, so I've only had three full charges so far. My first range was 39, which was concerning. I thought there might be a problem with the battery, but I relaxed when I realized I was going over 1.6 mi for every one mile drop in range.

Then the second came in at 47, and the third just came in at 55.5, so I'm assuming the estimated range is based in some way on your achieved range. Naturally, I am not beating the estimated range by as much now, but still maybe 1.2 or 1.3... I agree that they should estimate ranges conservatively (It's expectations that bring disappointment :-) ) so I expect the estimate may settle in to the 60s, but 70 to 80 is probably achievable.

Does this jibe with your experiences?

darthpuppy

Sat May 05, 2018 3:17 am

The first couple charges will likely indicate low range because it is estimating range based on how the car was recently driven. Odds are that the other people who test drove your car before you took possession were a bit heavy on the pedal. As you drive it, your pattern will outweigh their pattern in the average efficiency calculation it uses in estimating range based on amount of charge available.

steve75

Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:55 pm

We've gone 58 miles twice, primarily highway, and still had two bars of electric showing. This was without heat or a/c.

SFClarity

Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:14 pm

EV range is similar to MPG of gas: city driving will get fewer miles to the full charge than a smooth ride on a highway. The car cannot predict how you will drive, so it predicts based on your recent driving. My predicted EV range can drop to 40 after stop-n-go driving on SF hills; after a long drive out of the city, the next charge will jump the prediction back to 47.

I vaguely remember getting a prediction of over 50 (my wife remembers 60) on a drive home from the mountains with a lot of down-the-mountain re-charging. A most unreliable prediction given my next drive was in the City.

Incidentally, the full EV+gas range can similarly be very overstated--700, 800 miles!? Why? Because we stopped and charged enroute. The prediction holds IF you continue to drive the same way, ie., stopping to recharge. That is unfortunate because what we really want to know is how far we can go without recharging!

2 bars? The programming will switch you to HV when it gets down to 2 bars. This is good because when you need extra power quickly, you need that electric to kick in.

SFClarity

Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:53 pm

Steve75, The more I think about it, I don't think you got 58 all EV miles. You may have been fooled by the 2bars of EV (the minimum always maintained by program). If you depress the accelerator a little hard, perhaps to merge into fast moving traffic or to get around someone encroaching on your lane, the car automatically goes to HV. It will automatically go back to EV after a few minutes (I've tried to force it back to EV but it only goes back when it is ready). It is so automatic and so smooth that you will not know that this happened unless your eyes are glued to the dash and you see the EV light go off.
For some time I was confused why the EV light disappeared until I read about the click points in the accelerator. The PHEV Clarity's programming that decides when to go EV vs HV is really amazing and impressive. Gives us some discretion (see older posts about EV vs HV) yet draws on both power sources when needed.

DucRider

Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:31 pm

SFClarity wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:14 pm
EV range is similar to MPG of gas: city driving will get fewer miles to the full charge than a smooth ride on a highway.
Unlike ICE vehicles, EV's are more efficient in city driving.
The primary factors are slower speeds and recapture of energy when slowing (regen).

The EPA range ratings for the Clarity PHEV are 51 City, 41 Hwy, 48 combined.

The Clarity Electric comes in at 97 City, 79 Hwy, 89 combined.
Gary
Oregon Electric Vehicle Association Vice Chair
www.oeva.org
NDEW City Captain
www.driveelectricweek.org

Return to “Technical Discussions”