Cay

Re: Range indicator malfunction in Driver Information interface

Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:24 pm

I understand that driving style and temperature alters EV range, but I would expect that I'd see that more in how the range changes as I drive than in what it reports immediately after charging. I have the same short commute every day, the temperatures have been similar the whole time that I've owned the car and I drive the same way. No long trips, nothing that would explain a different range EVERY time I charge it. I also haven't noticed a difference between charging inside in my garage (Level 1) and charging outside (Level 2).

I'm just curious - has everyone else noticed this as well? If the battery doesn't always charge up to the same range, how would one know if the battery is failing over time? I guess it would just keep getting lower, even if it wasn't the same every time?

Cailin

darthpuppy

Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:55 am

Ah that is different behavior than what would be expected. Not sure how to assess battery health. Logically, it will degrade over time. Someone developed an app for monitoring the battery info on the Leaf. Hopefully they will be able to do one for the Clarity. With such an app, you would be able to assess the consistency of the battery charge state. The fluctuation could then be isolated between charge level and the car's perception of driving efficiency. I haven't seen anything yet where it has been determined what time period or range of driving it uses for calculating the range. If it uses a long term average, then I would expect very consistent numbers. If it uses just the range from the last 5 minutes of driving, that could vary quite a bit.

slatelsnarp

Honda Clarity HV range and Total Range "Errors"

Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:02 pm

HV Range error, HV range and total range estimates of a 1,000 miles are common now.

Honda PR says the HV (gas) range is determined by past driving style, which apparently means that it is based on effective (lifetime?) miles per gallon.

If you drive primarily EV, you may have a HV (gas) range that is between about 500 miles and 1,000 miles after each fill up. Apparently there is some "truth" to the number in that it could mean that you will only fill up every 1,000 miles, or that a full tank will last you 1,000 miles based on your current driving history.

The problem of course is that many of us buy a PHEV because we like to drive EV when possible, but on occasion need to drive long distances. On those trips, we could care less what our effective mpg is, only how are we doing based on the gallons left in the tank (combined with any EV range on hand).

This topic has been discussed quite a bit at the inside evs honda clarity forum. There is a push over there to post a "ticket" at the Honda owners site. Unclear if owners can put enough pressure on Honda to change the Clarity software to read a reasonable prediction of EV and HV range based on remaining batter charge and gallons in the tank.

The Chevy Volt far more reasonably reports effective lifetime mpg (a useful number to know in the background), but then it reports predictions of EV range and gas range which are close to reality.

Unclear why Honda chose the nonsense route for the HV range and thus total range too. Some think it is a mistake or bug, or just trying to be cute (because 1,000 mpg is common now among Clarity PHEV owners). Unclear why Honda refuses so far to acknowledge or address this problem.
Last edited by slatelsnarp on Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cay

Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:07 pm

Case in point - car says 100% battery charge, but 36 miles range this morning after charging inside my garage on a Level 1. In my experience, I definitely won't get more than the 36 in EV mode, but I could get less. I'd love for Honda to actually give us something more accurate (and I want to see my car register at least close to 47 miles EV range when it's fully charged...)

Will be interesting to see what happens with the HV range as I will be taking it for a 400 mile trip next weekend - the first time I've really used a full tank/full range.

Cay

shadofaux

Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:14 pm

I have the same problem, after charging, my range on the app say 35 miles. Does anyone get 47 miles on the app after a full charge? If yes are you using Level 1 or Level 2?

DucRider

Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:03 pm

shadofaux wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:14 pm
I have the same problem, after charging, my range on the app say 35 miles. Does anyone get 47 miles on the app after a full charge? If yes are you using Level 1 or Level 2?
The charging voltage will not affect the amount of charge the battery gets (or the resulting range). The only things that will change are the time it takes to get a full charge and the efficiency of that charge session (240V is slightly more efficient on most cars).

EV drivers get used to the variable nature of the "guess-o-meter". You'll almost certainly see that number increase as the weather warms. It is not unusual at all to see estimated range numbers greater that the EPA rated range - usually after efficient trips (relatively slow speeds, no heat/defrost, etc) in mild weather. Li-Ion batteries like temps in the low 70's. That's their "happy place"
Gary
Oregon Electric Vehicle Association
www.oeva.org

slatelsnarp

Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:12 am

The plug-in EV range may drop in the winter temps to 30 miles or less (full re-charge), especially in colder northern climates. This is completely normal and to be expected. In summer temps (by about 70F), many drivers will see EV ranges over 50 miles. It is surprising (or, maybe not) that Honda dealers don't explain this.

The HV range problem is different, a math problem, where HV (gas) range can be 1,000 miles, even though there is only a 7 gallon tank, so 300-350 miles are possible. 1,000 miles is not possible on one fill-up, if you plan to use all your EV range followed by driving on gas alone (e.g. a trip of 300 to 400 miles).

CamasClarity

Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:07 pm

I do get 47 miles of EV range. Charging at 240V 30A. It did take about 3 weeks 700 EV miles to get the full EV range. I am not sure if it was the weather changing or some brake-in time for the battery.

cwhite

Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:47 pm

The EV range was very low right after picking the car up at the dealer. Car sitting still, driven to service, prep, etc. Started going up within the first 2 charges. Running the heater can make a 10 mile range difference(same as every other EV we have owned) Lately it has warmed up a bit here and was able to run several days with no heater and had a post-charge range of 51.5 miles(wish I knew how to post photos), I expect it to go higher as Spring arrives. The HV range was pretty messed up until we took a trip that was about 150 miles past the point we ran out of juice. Now it seems pretty accurate, I have about 4 gallons in the tank and it shows a range of 170 miles. On that trip we got 42.6MPG when just on gas. We are very happy with the car so far.

tgee

Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:47 pm

When car was first purchase, EV range reads 345. Driving on battery daily. After adding 1.8 gallons after 35 days and over 1000 miles of driving, EV range reads 999. Prefer the 345 reading with a full tank of gas and fully charge battery. For day to day driving the EV range reading of 999 is meaningless. Glad, I check with this forum before waiting in a long service line for no reason. Problem should be report as a bug.
Thanks for listening. My opinion only.

Return to “Technical Discussions”