ClarityBug

Failed to charge while plugged in

Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:36 am

Twice now, once on a level 1 charger and once on a level 2 charger, I have plugged the car in to charge, seen the green light come on and flash but have come back and found that the charging never happened. Was wondering if anyone else has observed this. I have a charging timer set for 9 pm to use lower cost electrons, but both times it was overnight and charging should have started. Any hints or comments would be appreciated. Love the car otherwise.

DucRider

Re: Failed to charge while plugged in

Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:43 am

First thing I would check is the AM/PM setting on your timer.

I've been known to mess that up when setting an alarm.... :oops:

The slowly blinking light (both at the charge port and on the factory L1 is you are using that) does indicate that a delay timer has been set, and charging should begin at the set time. A rapidly blinking light indicates a charging error. This could be as simple as a poorly seated charge connector. Disengaging and reconnecting may solve this issue. The blinking indicator near the charge port will go out after 15 seconds in either scenario.

You might also double check to see that you have the timer mode set to "Full", and don't have it set to "Time" with a start time of 9PM and and end time of 9PM (or something else of very short duration).

You did not specify if you have the Clarity Electric or Plug-in, but both use the same timer setup.

Gary
Gary
Oregon Electric Vehicle Association
www.oeva.org

ClarityBug

Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:38 am

Gary,

Where did you find out about the slow versus fast blinking light on the charge port. I thought that I had read the manual in detail but do not remember seeing that. I guess Honda could not afford a dual color LED, say green and red. I do think a poor plug connection may have been the problem.
I also would like to find a clearer description of all the operating modes and what happens in each case when the battery charge reaches zero.

DucRider

Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:04 am

ClarityBug wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:38 am
Gary,

Where did you find out about the slow versus fast blinking light on the charge port. I thought that I had read the manual in detail but do not remember seeing that. I guess Honda could not afford a dual color LED, say green and red. I do think a poor plug connection may have been the problem.
I also would like to find a clearer description of all the operating modes and what happens in each case when the battery charge reaches zero.
The blinking lights are described in the user manual(s). It is the same on the Fit EV (our current EV) as well as the Clarity Electric & PHEV.

I'm assuming you have the Plug-In from your last question. After the battery is exhausted, it will function like any other hybrid using the ICE (Internal Combustion Engine) for power and the batteries will get some charge when slowing (regen or braking). No user action is required, the gas engine will fire as needed.

If you have the Clarity Electric, it will warn you when the charge gets low, then go into a reduced power mode, then eventually stop completely while you wait for the tow of shame :oops:

I've driven the Clarity, but don't own one so a detailed explanation of the various modes would be better addressed by someone with more experience.
Gary
Oregon Electric Vehicle Association
www.oeva.org

Webchickadee

Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:59 pm

Hello everyone! I'm new to the forum, as I'm a new Clarity owner (Touring model), from Toronto, Ontario (Canada).

We received our car on Feb. 15, and 9 days later, I ran into a charging error when plugged into a 240V public charger. The green charging light on the car's plug-in port was blinking rapidly, then would eventually go out. Charger did not show a fault (I tried multiple chargers in various locations to see if this would be different, thinking, maybe it was a charger error).

This happened on a Saturday, so I anxiously waited until Monday morning to take the car to the Honda dealer. They hadn't seen this problem (car's too new on the market!). They did a "system reset", which basically means they removed the negative terminal on the battery (under the hood, not the main battery on the bottom of the car) to restore factory defaults.

The error went away, and they were able to charge normally. They release the car to me and said "let us know if there are any more problems".

Fast forward 4 days, and the error pops up again! Both times, I was a 240V public charging station (we don't have charging at home yet, as we live in a condo, and it's an uphill battle to get charging installed there).

So, I take the car back to the dealer, and they immediately get the Service Manager to talk to me. It seems that after my initial report, Honda Canada contacted the dealer the next day, to let them know this is a known problem.

Honda's explanation:

This not an error with the car. The car has a built-in protection mechanism in its software that trips if there is current fluctuation during charging. So if the current changes (even slightly, or momentarily) during the plug-in charge, the system shuts down to protect itself, throws the error, and the error message must be reset.

In other words, the power source must be "clean" (pure, uninterrupted, etc.). Honda recommends using Honda-installed 240V charging (ie. at dealerships).

HAH! That's crazy!

So, the Service Manager says, yes, that is crazy. No one can charge at the dealerships on a consistent basis. It's not practical and that's not a solution.

So, Honda is now apparently working on a "software fix" which essentially will change/remove this shutdown feature, allowing "unclean" power to charge the car. Not sure how it will work (how severe can the fluctuation be? will there still be some type of protection available?).

Apparently this is not supposed to be an issue if you are charging on a standard 120V plug-in, using the supplied cable/charger device that came with the car.

Timeline is April/May 2018 for the software update implementation, and probably will be done on a recall basis. I will be getting a call from my dealer, as I am the only one who has reported this so far.

Anyone else in this boat?

darthpuppy

Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:17 am

I haven't encountered it, but I've only had mine since 2/16. I've been at public level 2 plugs about half a dozen times and about the same number of times on my home level 2.

I would think the charging station would be designed to provide a feed consistent with whatever standard was set for the J1772 plug delivery system. The car should be able to accept the same standard. That said, IIRC from the Leaf forum, not all EVSE's are quality products and some do have a reputation for causing problems with Leafs. But that forum also had reports of dealers blaming EVSE's when it proved to be a problem with the car. I think that was more of an issue for the earlier model years.

ClarityBug

Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:18 am

So again no charge this morning when it was set to charge at 9 Pm to full on Clarity PHEV. So investigating I went. If you set the timer to charge at 9 pm and plug the car in after 9 pm (say 9:02) the charging does not start. This has been my problem all along. Sometimes I get home after 9 pm and plug in the car. The light flashes but then goes out and charging does not start. You can override and start charging manually with the key fob but I have had 3 EV's and this is the first time I have run into this bug in programming. Listen Honda, if I set the car to start charging at 9 pm but don't manage to get it plugged in until after 9, it is still correct to charge. Actually the timer settings on this car are very lame as they don't allow for off peak, mid peak or peak settings and there is no summer or winder settings. Come on Honda, you can do better, copy any other EV from GM or Tesla.

darthpuppy

Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:56 am

ClarityBug wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:18 am
copy any other EV from GM or Tesla.
I'm guessing each implementation is a little different due to patent issues.

darthpuppy

Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:58 am

BTW - Good sleuthing on figuring out the charging timer problem. Are you consistently home by 10pm? If so, perhaps just set it for 10pm start.

CamasClarity

Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:34 am

I tried to charge at a Volta station at Clackamas mall. There was a Volt charging in the next parking spot, from a second station. It was verry wet outside but not raining too hard anymore. I got this error in the car "Plug-in system charging problem. Range limited" Check engine light came on. I went to a different charger and the car charged fine to 100%. Check engine light turned off 24 hours later. I will still like to go to the dealer to see what the problem was. I have a picture I will post when I figure out how.

Return to “Technical Discussions”