megreyhair

TPMS question

Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:59 pm

To any clarity owners out there.

Does the TPMS tells you the pressure in each tire or does it just give you a yellow warning when tire pressure gets too low?

DucRider

Re: TPMS question

Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:03 pm

Looking in the manual, it appears that it is a warning light only. No screen with actual pressure info.
Gary
Oregon Electric Vehicle Association Vice Chair
www.oeva.org
NDEW City Captain
www.driveelectricweek.org

cwhite

Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:06 pm

The TPMS system on the Clarity does not use the pressure reading units that are mounted inside the tire, it uses a system like Mazda has. It uses the data from the stability control sensors to get a baseline on the tire rotation. If one tire starts rotating faster than the others then is assumes it is loosing air. I prefer the system that gives you an actual PSI reading (like my wife's Bolt) but the good side is that I will save $200 when I buy my set of winter tires and wheels since I do not need to have the sending units installed.

jzchen

Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:36 pm

I agree that the Clarity seems to use an indirect TPMS. I recommend resetting the TPMS as instructed in the manual whenever a tire pressure adjustment is made. I have experience with indirect system in an '04 Sienna with runflats and it may not detect a flat if not reset dilligently.

Hobbesgsr

Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:18 am

I prefer indirect TPMS since:
1. It saves me the cost of buying these sensors for my aftermarket or even winter wheels.
2. It saves me the cost of buying replacement sensors for my stock wheels (they are supposed to last 5 years).
3. It’s always better to check your tire pressure yourself (just like your oil level).

Return to “General / Main Clarity Plugin Owners Forum”