AlanSqB

Hello!

Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:25 am

Thanks to the mods that cleaned up the spam. It was looking a bit scary around here when I first looked in this weekend.

I just purchased a 2018 Touring PHEV on Saturday (picked up on Monday). Really loving the car so far. I gave up a Model 3 reservation for it so the jury is out if that was a good idea or not, but I needed a car and the delays were killing me. Not to mention that I enjoy a smoother ride than what has been described by early adopters of that car.

So, here I am with my 5th Honda but first with a plug. I'm a Nissan Leaf owner since 2014 and have been active in our local electric car community, volunteering at events and ride-and-drives for several years. I also built my own EVSE which is still going strong after 3 years.

I'm not sure if this forum is going to go anywhere based on what I'm seeing so far, but I'll keep an eye out for any new posts. Let me know if you have any questions about the Clarity or EVs in general.

darthpuppy

Re: Hello!

Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:45 am

I think this forum will be successful. At this point, there are just so few of us Clarity owners out there. But as we learn stuff about this car or encounter issues, I imagine this will be an excellent place to find helpful info.

johncl

Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:08 am

I came from a 2013 Volt. The reason I personally would not consider the Tesla 3 or any all electric car for that matter is because I do believe the infrastructure is currently there without range anxiety. For me the Clarity fit the bill perfectly.

Hobbesgsr

Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:10 am

Hey AlanSqB,

I’m checking this forum out since the InsideEVs forum admins have some rather limiting administrative rules.

Let’s see if this forum picks up.

Geno88

Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:47 pm

Congrats to you as I’m also a new silver touring owner.

Range anxiety sucks and in my local charging station, there are 8 charging stations, in which only 3 work properly, I’m often times giving way to the all electric cars as they really don’t have a backup.

Is the best way to leave the charge in the car and use fossil fuel pressing the HV button once? Does that spare the most amount of EV charge?

Also, like my other hybrids/vehicles I’ve owned, do you owners pump up the tires to 40/38 to have better wear and range?

darthpuppy

Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:49 am

I wouldn't mess with the tire pressures. That is done by BEV owners primarily because they are trying to eek out a little more range. Since PHEV's don't have the range constraints, there is no need to do this.

Disclaimer: I'm not an expert. But I believe if your commute requires gas at some point, then it is best to use it during the open highway portions. EVs tend to not be as efficient going fast, with range dropping quickly when going over 55mph. But the gas powered motor is relatively efficient when used that way. Then switch to EV mode for any stop-and-go sections of the highway or when doing city streets. That is where the EV really shines for efficiency.

jzchen

Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:17 pm

Someone in another forum noted that electric is always more efficient than gas. The gas is so inefficient that highway actually improves the efficiency of gas use some.... (Haven’t verified nor discredited that claim).

I use 36 PSI all around as noted on the door jamb. High PSI can have higher chance of tire damage when encountering a road hazard. (Less compliant).

jzchen

Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:24 pm

Geno88 wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:47 pm
Range anxiety sucks and in my local charging station, there are 8 charging stations, in which only 3 work properly,
Try to report it to the service provider. In particular if they charge money they have a financial interest to keep them up and running.

About 1/2 mile from my doctor’s office there is a huge AQMD office with I’m guessing 30 chargers from various providers. Sometimes the lot seems so full people just park in a charging spot and their car is not even a plug in!

darthpuppy

Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:05 am

I wasn't trying to say that gas was more efficient that EV. Just that if your commute requires use of gas, use it as efficiently as possible so you minimize the amount you use. Gas engines idling in stop and go traffic are not as efficient as gas engines at highway speeds. So if you have to use gas, use it at highway speed. The EV is far superior to the gas in stop and go traffic.

Return to “General / Main Clarity Plugin Owners Forum”