DucRider

Oregon EV Rebate

Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:27 pm

For those of you that live in Oregon, on Aug 2nd the Oregon Supreme Court issued a ruling upholding the funding method for the EV rebate program and the DEQ will start processing applications and issuing refunds.
You must apply (have applied) within 6 mos of purchase/lease. They were taking a "Phase I" application while the program was on hold, and they will process rebates in the order received.

The Clarity Electric qualifies for a $2,500 rebate.

The Clarity PHEV may qualify for $2,500.

At issue is the warranty coverage on the PHEV. Oregon is one of the Section 177 states that has opted in to California’s vehicle emission standards. The Clean Air Act requires that opt-in states keep their rule requirements identical to California’s vehicle emission program. Oregon has not yet adopted the latest CA standards and the Oregon PHEV warranty requirements are lower. However, to qualify for the rebate a PHEV must meet the CA standards.

I pointed this out to Honda several months ago, and they have since changed the emissions warranty card to include Oregon in the same category as the other ZEV States (prior cards had Oregon listed as a 3rd Category with different warranty coverage).
Current warranty card: http://ev.owners.honda.com/Content/PDFs ... L06769.pdf

It is unclear at this point if Honda is going to extend the warranty coverage to all PHEV's sold in Oregon. Their most recent statement indicates the warranty coverage will be whatever the current Oregon requirements for PHEV's are, and any that were purchased before the legislature adpted current CA emissions requirements would hae the lower warranty coverage (and thus would not qualify for the rebate). The problem is that Oregon has not yet updated their requirements (there is a public comment hearing on Aug 14th in Portland).

If your Clarity PHEV has the warranty card as listed above, you likely qualify for the rebate. If your emissions warranty card has Oregon listed separately, you likely will not qualify unless Honda covers all PHEV's sold in Oregon with the current CA requirements.

PM me if you have more questions.

Gary
Gary
Oregon Electric Vehicle Association Vice Chair
www.oeva.org
NDEW City Captain
www.driveelectricweek.org

cwhite

Re: Oregon EV Rebate

Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:16 pm

Thanks for the info, from my initial reading I thought the Clarity PHEV had a large enough battery to qualify for the $2500 rebate. I could be wrong, as always.

DucRider

Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:43 pm

cwhite wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:16 pm
Thanks for the info, from my initial reading I thought the Clarity PHEV had a large enough battery to qualify for the $2500 rebate. I could be wrong, as always.
Sorry, typo.

It does qualify for the $2,500

Will edit and correct the post.
Gary
www.oeva.org
NDEW City Captain

cwhite

Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:31 pm

Hi all, Heard last week that Honda is updating the Clarity warranty for Oregon to match California. This means that we can get the $2500 OR Rebate. There is a rule that the hybrid warranty had to be over a certain length and some of the original warranty cards/CD's called out Oregon having a shorter term. I just got the new warranty book (along with the paper manuals) and Oregon is now listed with the longer warranty. On a sadder note I talked with someone in the rebate program and checks probably won't be going out until early next year. The court case made it so they could not do any prep work so they got a late start.

DucRider

Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:55 pm

The good news is that those that submitted applications will still get their rebate, just much later than anyone hoped. I hosted an overview and Q&A session at our NDEW event last month, and got several detailed questions that needed policy and procedures to be defined. HB2017 gave a general framework with some specific rules, but left much of the heavy lifting to DEQ.
Some examples:
1) What is a "base model" in regards to MSRP? In example, does any Tesla Model 3 qualify since the "base model" is (going to be) $35K? Or is a Long Range AWD Performance version considered a different vehicle with a different base MSRP for rebate purposes. Is the BMW i3 "s" version a different model? If so, the REx version bumps over the $50K cap.
2) Is there a limit on the number of rebates an individual can receive (annually or lifetime)? The Bill limits organizations to 10 per calendar year, but no mention was made about individual limits. This was discussed in advisory committee sessions when discussing rebate amounts and funding. The recommendation was to not to impose limits at this time.
3) The Bill requires repayment if the vehicle is sold within 24 months. Will there be exceptions for circumstances like vehicles declared a total loss from an accident and "sold" to an insurance company?

There was another advisory committee meeting on Oct 4th(?), and the OEVA has a representative . Should have an update from him the next day or so on progress/discussions.
Gary
www.oeva.org
NDEW City Captain

Return to “Buying / Leasing / Dealerships”