lkhaines

computer failure

Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:42 am

>While driving in wet weather in hv/charge mode I lost instrument cluster after stopping to fill gas tank. When I restarted car in hv/charge mode the instrument panel was blank. It came back on after about 8 miles. I was getting 48 to 52 miles with a 120 home charge but after the failure happened I can't get anymore than 37 miles per charge. We have had the car since March of 2018 and the failure happened on October 28 of 2018 with over 6000 miles on vehicle. Honda replace a computer and did some software upgrades but charge miles are still 37 or less. Nearly all of our driving is local any very seldom use the hv/charge mode, but just recently used hv/charge mode for a trip of about 150 miles, part way thru trip we lost the center display for map and info, it looked like it completely rebooted then came on normal. Has anyone else experience these problems and is you mileage as low as mine. I am in the Willamette Valley in Oregon and we have very mild climate so temperature is not the problem.</

DucRider

Re: computer failure

Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:30 pm

Not sure what your question is.
37 miles is within normal range in the winter time.
The range estimate on the display is just that, and will vary based on recent driving history, using more heat and/or driving at higher speeds will reduce the available range. It is possible they did a software update when they replaced the failed computer as there is one that does change the way the PHEV calculates range (I believe for both gas and electric use?).

As a note, if you are truly driving regularly in HV Charge mode, that is by far the least efficient way to use the Clarity PHEV. I drive the BEV version, but others with PHEV experience generally recommend switching to HV mode (not HV Charge) when on the freeway and/or to preserve the EV miles gained from plugging in for lower speeds or city type driving. If your trips are within the pure EV range, that is the mode you should stay in.
Gary
Oregon Electric Vehicle Association Vice Chair
www.oeva.org
NDEW City Captain
www.driveelectricweek.org

jzchen

Re: computer failure

Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:12 pm

We had some sort of center display reboot/reset a while back. All the radio presets were erased. No instrument cluster issues, nor EV range issues. I did updated to the latest Nav maps from this site:

https://honda.garmin.com/honda

Return to “Modifications and Accessories”