darthpuppy

When to service/oil change?

Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:56 am

I just got an e-mail from my dealer hoping to bring my PHEV in for the upcoming 5,000 mile service.

What is involved with that?

If it is basically just an oil change, I would think the oil would be changed much less frequently. I estimate the gas engine is only running for 40% of the miles based on my usage pattern. So when the car is at 5,000 miles, the engine will only have 2,000 miles on it, which is too soon for an oil change. I would think/hope that the car will prompt for servicing based on actual engine run time, not just miles in an attempt to lure more $ to the dealers. But I don't recall reading anything along those lines in the owners guide. If someone uses it only as an EV, i.e., rarely ever kicks on the hybrid engine, then the oil change should be annual, not mileage determined.

Anyone here with insight on that?

jzchen

Re: When to service/oil change?

Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:34 am

There is a Maintenance Minder which gives how soon and codes for what needs to be done.

Pages 132-134 of the Owner's Guide:

http://ev.owners.honda.com/Clarity/Mode ... PlugIn2018

The Owner's Manual is larger but does not seem to download completely...

darthpuppy

Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:39 am

That helped.

Accessing the car's maintenance minder, even though my car just now cleared 5,000 miles, the car says it wants maintenance in 2 months - which will be at the 6 month of ownership. So it looks to me like it is considering both time lapse as well as miles driven on gas. In my case, since 60% of the miles are EV, I'm guessing it will want servicing every 6 months since my engine isn't running enough to prompt based on miles.

jzchen

Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:13 am

Hmmm. This is our first Honda vehicle, but a lot of what I’ve seen points to 1 year/10k mi service interval, even on strictly hybrid or pure gas vehicles. But you may be on to something about 6 months/5k miles because when I caught a glimpse of the Maintenance Minder it said in three months. My suspicion is that it is either set on the build date, or when acquired and service personnel reset it upon vehicle delivery.

Do you know your build date, or do you mind sharing when you acquired your Clarity? Our SiriusXM trial just ended so it was pretty much 3 months ago.

darthpuppy

Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:41 am

Not sure about build date. We bought Feb. 18th ish.

darthpuppy

Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:26 pm

Update: Today the maintenance minder popped up on the dash when I started the car. Checking the manual, the code is calling for oil/filter change and tire rotation in 4 weeks.

By my rough math, that will be at about 7,500 miles of which 3,000 (40%) would have been on the gas engine. By calendar, that would be just under 7 months from delivery. So I'm thinking it is prompting based on miles. Not sure if the 7,500 is what is driving it or if it is the 3,000 gas engine miles.

Either way, the instructions in the manual are pretty clear, so I will go ahead and do the oil and filter change myself. I've had too many times where a dealer put in the wrong oil versus what I've specified. In fairness, I haven't tried a Honda dealer as this is our first Honda since the 80's. But I've been very disappointed when other dealers repeatedly default to 5w30 even when I specified and paid extra for 0w20. Only real way to make sure it gets the right oil is to do it myself.

darthpuppy

Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:56 pm

I usually look ahead and stock filters for the next change out. I see no problems getting the oil and air filter as I see them available online. But the 587 page manual gives no indication on air filter change other than it should be at 15,000 miles under hard conditions. I also don't see any clarity videos on youtube. But I do see one covering the Accord and from the air filter parts diagram I found online for the Clarity, it looks similar, i.e., unsnap 2 clamps and slide the tabs out from the side connectors.

Or is there something complicating it so that the manual doesn't provide the guidance and you really need to take it to the dealer because they didn't make it user serviceable? This should be a real simple procedure; I'm puzzled why it isn't covered in the manual. Are they just trying to get people to bring the car in for easy money?

If it is simple, I'd like to go ahead and order an air filter now when I order a couple oil filters.

jackertracker

Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:54 pm

I'm driving the BEV, not the PHEV, so I have no experience with air filters on the Clarity. However, based on the Accords I have owned and maintained, I can't imagine why it couldn't be replaced by the user. It was a PITA on my 2004 Accords, but I certainly did it enough times. I think the lack of info out there at this point is simply because there aren't that many Claritys on the road yet compared to other cars. (I don't recall that the info to change the filter on the Accord was in the manual, either.)
Let us know how it works out.

jzchen

Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:08 pm

Can check here for service information:

https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/logon.aspx

Reasonable pricing, and I used it to get the oil drain bolt torque spec when I drained out some excess oil. So far no burn smell.

I suspect the interval is 1 yr/10k miles, whichever comes first. Quite possibly from build date if it wasn’t reset upon vehicle delivery to the owner.

jzchen

Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:19 pm

When opening the underpanel you need a very wide flat head screw driver or similar to remove the panel bolts. I think there were 8 if I remember correctly. The original oil filter has the tightening instructions on it's side, but here are the specs.

Oil filter drain plug 40 Nm, (replace gasket)
Oil filter 12 Nm or 3/4 turn after seating

3.5 US qts with filter change

Return to “Technical Discussions”