Geno88

Re: Range indicator malfunction in Driver Information interface

Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:03 pm

Charging miles will differ based on how you drive the car. If you’re hypermiling, then the charge numbers will be higher.

Maybe the tank is also reconfiguring it’s usage based on fuel consumption being very low?

Mine charges up to 52 EV miles.....

slatelsnarp

Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:53 am

Hi Geno88, Welcome!

The Range Indicator malfunction mostly applies to the "HV range" on gas, and the total range. For those who do a lot of driving on gas, after the EV battery miles are used, both of the EV (battery) and HV (gas) range numbers are pretty good.

But, for those who drive primarily EV, and use little gas, there is a problem with the HONDA range algorithm, and each time you fill up with gas (could be very infrequently) the HV range goes wildly high. Full tank gas ranges from over 500 miles to 1,000 miles are common. The example in the owner's manual is over 2,000 miles. Not bad for a 7 gallon tank!

Best thing to do for now is to laugh it off, because there is no indication that HONDA will ever fix it, and if they ever do (there are many notes/requests/complaints on file with HONDA), that would be fantastic! Otherwise, reduced expectation is the name of the game.

A different question, EV range tends to be pretty good for everyone. As with most EVs, EV range varies from the 30s winter to over 50 warmer weather, as many have reported. YMMV with climate (e.g. extreme cold) or driving style/habits as you noted.

beartheheet

Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:47 pm

When I purchased my Clarity, the dealership kindly filled the tank up with gas. This is great, but when one rarely uses the HV mode (because the car gets 47miles on a charge!), this makes for a lot of gas setting in the tank. A full tank of gas translates into more weight that the EV power has to carry around. I have run my past EV's with no more than two gallons of gas in the tank (unless I know I am going to travel far); the less gas, the less weight, which gave me better EV mileage. With all of that being said, over a two week period of time, I ran the gas down (did not plug in for a few weeks). I ran the gas down until the HV range indicator read 41miles AND the gas pump indicator lit up yellow AND the yellow LOW indicator illuminated.
At this time I pumped 1 gallon of gas into the car, hoping the yellow warning indicator lights would shut off and the HV range indicator would indicate more miles available because I added gas. This was NOT the case. The indicators did not change and the Yellow lights remained. I drove the car for a day (about 14 miles) and there was still no change in the HV indicators. I then added another gallon of gas, Once again, no change in the HV indicators, the HV range still read 41miles. Another day went by of driving (14miles) and no changes on the HV indicators--still yellow LOW light and illuminated yellow gas pump indicator. I then added another 2 gallons of gas. The HV indicator finally changed, jumping to 240 miles, and the yellow lights finally were gone.
Has there been any "fix" to this lack of sensitivity for the HV indicator(s) when running under 4 gallons of gas?

slatelsnarp

Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:58 pm

Two bars HV gas, 52 miles HV range:

Went to gas station, added about 1 gallon (car off during filling). Some time later (and after several on - off cycles), still have two bars gas and 52 miles HV range.

I added another gallon, should be just over 3 gallons total now. As per the previous poster (said no changes to 4 gallons), I still have two bars, and 52 miles gas range. Ran the engine for a bit, now 51 miles, two bars.

Well, I added two more gallons gas, no change, then filled the tank, no change. So, this morning disconnected the 12V battery ground terminal, then using a 1 ohm resistor (with the 12V battery ground disconnected), connected the plus terminal to ground for about a minute or less.

The readings are all normal now, all gas bars and full HV range as expected. Just a computer glitch I guess. Good news is, it did not dump my user settings, presets, or my customized center console. So, all good there. Standard driving around for a few minutes reset all the alarms, the regular case for a Clarity 12V battery reset.

Too bad I did not try the battery disconnect reset at one or two gallons, oh well. All is good, no trip to the dealership needed, a blessing in itself.

jeffpepper

Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:35 pm

Good news -- I visited my dealer today, they said that Honda just issued a recall for this -- "fuel range indicator malfunction" or something similar. It's not just a software update, there is actually some physical device that has to be replaced. I'm taking my Clarity in next week to get the work done.

jzchen

Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:27 am

Thanks for the update, and welcome to the forum!

I haven’t been relying on the range estimate at all because it seems off....

darthpuppy

Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:35 am

Let us know if the fix truly does fix the issue. The way it currently functions, it is worthless. Hopefully it will be a meaningful display of information now.

jeffpepper

Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:38 pm

I just picked up my car from the dealer. They definitely fixed the fuel range calculation! Nice to see more realistic numbers (though it would've been even nicer to really get 1000 miles from a tank of gas!) They also did a few other "recall" tasks: (1) replaced the informational CDROM (who cares), (2) replaced the climate control unit which apparently was causing an error code in some cases , (3) upgraded the PCM software, not sure what that did.

Jeff

jeffpepper

Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:26 am

Here's an update on the range indicator malfunction The dealer installed the factory fix a week or so ago. Driving for a couple of days, I thought it was still off a bit, so I filled up the tank, noted the odometer reading, and have been driving for a week.

The result? The range indicator (miles till empty) has dropped from 354 to 99, telling me that I've traveled 261 miles. HOWEVER, the odometer shows that I've really traveled only 175 miles. So it's overestimating the range by 50%!

Not much of a fix, if you ask me.

Jeff

Return to “Technical Discussions”